South Tyneside LGBT+ service offers practical support for young people 11-25yrs around sexuality
and/or gender identity. The support includes one to one sessions, support to access clinical gender
identity services, family support & the opportunity to meet other young people via our peer support
group sessions to promote the sharing of experiences in a safe environment.
Details of the role / tasks:
We are looking for a volunteer to support the delivery of our peer support groups. This will involve:
- Attending groups
- Helping the facilitator to set up and run the session
- Supporting young people within the group – this could include emotional support
- Sharing feedback and suggesting improvements or ideas for future sessions
Groups run once a week on Thursday evenings in South Shields.
- Ability to empathise
- Confident and friendly approach
- Respectful and non-judgemental
- Understanding or awareness of young people’s needs and vulnerabilities
- Good verbal and written communication
- Ability to follow a structured session plan but with the confidence to make suggestions for development where applicable
- An understanding of the importance of guidelines and procedures relating to key areas such as safeguarding, confidentiality, professional boundaries and information governance Vacancy Pro-forma v1.0
- An understanding of Humankind – information is available on our website and you can call a specific project to make enquiries
- A genuine interest in being part of the mission and vision of Humankind
- Applicants must be able to complete some mandatory training online and attend supervision as required
- Personal lived experience
- Experience of delivering groups / leading on activities or having attended groups
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Training provided
Applicants must be able to complete some mandatory training online and attend supervision as required
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 12/06/2023
End Date: 01/04/2025
We are asking for a minimum 3-hour commitment a month. This will most likely be in the evening as this is when groups will run.