Do you love the idea of joining the police but don’t want to quit your day job?
Fancy taking a break from the regular 9-5?
If you want to make a real difference to the lives of others and give something back, Northumbria Police can offer you that chance!
Volunteering as a Special Constable is a great opportunity for you to join us in a completely different and unique way. Volunteers play a huge part in the support we offer to the community. and bring invaluable experience to our Police Force. So, if you’re looking for a new challenge it could be the perfect time to join us.
Special Constables make a unique contribution to all areas of policing. You’ll be a visible presence on our streets, responding to incidents and most importantly – protecting the vulnerable.
Every day comes with a new challenge; you’ll often be the first person on the scene of a traffic incident or burglary, you’ll be accountable for how you handle these situations and the decisions you make. Knowing you’ve had an impact on the lives of others can be hugely rewarding and a fantastic opportunity to develop skills you never knew you had.
Typical day? There isn’t one! But you could find yourself
- Responding to 999 calls
- Patrolling our local area by foot or in a marked vehicle
- Making arrests
- Attending public events to keep people safe
- Talking to victims, offering support and taking statements
- Integrity and honesty – you’ll be representing Northumbria Police and our values.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to adapt your style to different people and challenging situations.
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to make difficult decisions.
- Resilience – you’ll have a high level of personal responsibility and be exposed to situations you may never have encountered before.
- Flexibility – no two days will be the same so you’ll need to be able to switch priorities quickly and adapt to differing priorities.
We’re looking for people who will enjoy speaking to the public and are driven to make a difference to the lives of others.
You’ll also be self-motivated and passionate about learning new things.
Although you’ll need to have a good level of physical fitness, our force is made up of Special Constables from all backgrounds and walks of life – and there’s certainly no upper age limit.
Being an excellent communicator is far more important in resolving issues and finding solutions.
This role is demanding physically but all applications are considered
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
You’ll also be given the opportunity to attend extra training where you can specialise in areas such as Neighbourhood Policing and Motor Patrols
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 05/02/2024
End Date: 05/02/2024
British Heart Foundation (West Denton)
Life Vineyard Church
North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust