The purpose of this volunteer role within the volunteering team is to promote mentoring to young people using DePaul services. This volunteer will volunteer in projects and occasionally volunteer remotely to encourage young people on taking up the offer of a volunteer mentor. This volunteer will complete mentoring support plans with young people and be able to describe the role of the volunteer mentor and the benefits to the young person. This volunteer will occasionally call clients from a staff’s case load to explain the mentoring programme and offer to complete a support plan over the phone or book some time in to meet them in person to complete.
This volunteer will mostly be based at projects where young people are living to be a presence and offer mentoring and the completion of a support plan whilst they are in the communal areas. This volunteer will also be able to take part on group activities with other members of staff or volunteers which are ‘mentoring taster sessions’ such as cooking, budgeting work shops etc to complete support plans throughout the activity. This volunteer will be working closely with the Volunteer and Mentor Coordinator to promote the mentoring service.
- To promote mentoring throughout Depaul services.
- To take part and/or lead on activities for young people to promote mentoring (mentor taster sessions)
- To complete mentoring assessments with young people
- To work with project staff in the promotion of mentoring and involving young people in the mentoring service.
- To call young people to offer mentoring
- To offer mentoring to young people in person at accommodations/projects
- To be a champion to the mentoring programme and work closely with the volunteer and mentor coordinator.
- To lead on new and exciting ways to get young people involved with mentoring
- To attend Induction, support sessions and forums
- To adhere to the terms of Depaul UK’s policies
Good communication skills, the ability to engage, promote and encourage mentoring to young people. Non-judgmental attitude and an awareness of homelessness and the effects this has on young people.
- Expenses reimbursed
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 08/07/2022
End Date: 31/08/2023
This opportunity can be carried out whilst working from home.
More Opportunities from DePaul UK
Northumbria Coalition Against Crime
YMCA North Tyneside