The Pop Up Pantry is a mobile food co-operative, that will be operating in a number of communities across the city. We will provide the local community with access to a broad range high quality food and household goods at low cost.
We will aim to save our members 50% or more on the items they items they buy from the Pop Up Pantry. Our goal is far more than reducing a members household budget, we want to create places of community, support, advocacy when needed, advice and more
We want to play our part in helping people discover and unleash their extraordinary potential through helping them out of poverty and isolation and into healthy and sustainable life patterns. We also aim to provide other activities such as children and family events, cookery classes, budgeting advice, and more.
You will receive training and support every step of the way.
The essential tasks involved are expected to be straight forward:
- Moving the food boxes from the van, using a trolley, to the shop space and back at the end of the session
- Setting up tables and chairs for the space and making the space look welcoming and friendly to the members
- Meeting new members and helping them register (as English may not be a first language - this might require you reading out all information and documentation to the new member)
- Helping new members fill out member forms and setting them up with membership cards
- Showing new members around the shop, explaining where everything is and making them feel welcome
- Offering members coffee and teas
- Offering to chat, pray and engage with members, potentially signposting them to different support services available in the community
- Running the cash register and cashing up when closing.
- No qualifications required
- Basic IT literacy
- Ability to support and maintain the cash register
- Good customer service skills
- Reliable and good time management
- Good Organisational skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- friendly and helpful
- Highly compassionate for the welfare of others
- Some physical manual handling will be required - Although this is not essential
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 21/11/2022
End Date: 01/08/2024
More Opportunities from Life Vineyard Church
Newcastle Community Asset Trust (NCAT)
British Heart Foundation (West Denton)
Newcastle Deaf Centre (SVP)
Kidney Research UK