Do you want to take part in vegan volunteering around your local area?
You can do that – right here at The Vegan Society.
We have an ever-growing Community Network of vegans just like you, who have a passion to volunteer and promote veganism where they live. Every month, our Network choose from a range of outreach tasks.
These could include town centre stalls, writing to a councillor or MP, sharing our campaigns on social media or contacting local businesses.
You're in control of how much or how little you do. We also provide our volunteers with leaflets, banners and workshops so that they are equipped to make the biggest impact possible.
What does the Organiser role involve?
- Every month, you will be sent a collection of tasks to choose from. We create these from our programme of campaigns.
- You would be the point of contact for Advocates in your area, sharing these tasks and coordinating activities, such as stalls and lobbying councillors.
- We will provide you with a campaign toolkit and be in regular contact with you to ensure you have everything you need.
- You will also be invited to our private Facebook group and WhatsApp chat.
- We would expect you to provide any updates from your group and give feedback on each task. It's vital that we measure the impact that we are having, in terms of positive conversations and leaflets handed out.
- You can also give us ideas you have for future outreach tasks or campaigning. Many Organisers find a huge sense of satisfaction, improvement in self-esteem and enjoy the social side of volunteering in this role.
- You will also be responsible for welcoming new Advocates in your area. We will let you know when somebody new applies, and you will help them to get involved with any activities.
- As the main contact for Advocates, this role does require some awareness of safeguarding and data protection procedures and policy.
- You'll also be the health and safety contact for your group.
There will be full training on your role in this, as well as a handbook and ongoing guidance and support.
- As an Organiser, you will ensure any resources or actions undertaken are in line with our branding and messaging guidelines and make sure that Advocates understand this too.
What training and support is available?
- There will be a full induction to the role, with a gradual introduction of new tasks and responsibilities. To start with, we will provide an initial training session to cover the basics of community organising, communication skills and event planning. This will be done remotely from wherever you are.
- Along with this, we will provide a full pack of resources that covers a range of work that we do.
- From there, there will be regular conversations and reviews, where we can discuss other training requirements.
- Staff are always available to Organisers for any questions, via phone or email.
How much time do I need to invest?
You should be able to commit around two days a month to carry out actions, and this is usually spread out across the month.
We also expect timely responses to emails.
When a new Advocate applies to work with you, we would like them to be contacted within seven days.
- Great organisational skills Experience of coordinating people
- Experience of working to specific dates and deadlines
- Good time keeping
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to motivate people around the topic of veganism
- Ability to stick to branding Ability to read emails in a timely manner and translate tasks into actions quickly
- Ability to report back on activities
- Excellent knowledge of vegan issues
- It would be beneficial for this role to have access to a vehicle, as some actions will involve taking resources to events or visiting MPs’ offices. However, this is not mandatory as the campaign toolkit can be carried in a backpack.
- Age restrictions
over 18 and must be VEGAN
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Provided, such as travel and resources
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
Monthly training and ongoing based on volunteer needs
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 09/02/2024
End Date: 17/12/2025
More Opportunities from The Vegan Society
Guide Dogs (North East)
Community Transport (Newcastle)
British Heart Foundation (West Denton)