The Graveyard Group meets weekly to tidy, maintain, and plan improvements to the churchyard at St. James' Church.
- The tasks the Group undertakes on a regular basis are chopping and clearing undergrowth and litter picking
- We are also planning and carrying out improvements such as planting a new hedge of native species. We would welcome volunteers to help with this work
- Basic equipment such as gardening gloves, litter pickers and loppers would be provided
Anyone with an interest in local history would find this an especially interesting opportunity, as we are also mapping the graves and researching their history.
The Group meets weekly on a Tuesday afternoon between 12 - 4pm.
- No skills are required other than enthusiasm and a capacity for physical work
- Experience of gardening or environmental conservation work would be welcome but not essential
- Similarly someone with a specific interest in nature would find opportunities to develop this aspect of our work
- Age restrictions
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Ongoing support
peer support from the Group, with additional support available from church staff if required
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
To be given on an individual basis
- Volunteers covered by insurance
volunteers are covered by St James' Church insurance as church volunteers
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 22/02/2022
End Date: 20/12/2023
Tuesday 12 – 4 pm
St. James' Church,
28 Benwell Lane,
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear